Portola Springs Elementary
Library and Media Center
Welcome to Portola Springs Elementary’s Library & Media Center virtual services branch. Our mission is to teach our students the information literacy skills necessary to access and evaluate information, to use it accurately, creatively, and ethically to provide a wide variety of materials to support the curriculum, and to encourage a life-long love of reading.
We hope this webpage can direct you to some of the information you need.
Library Media Technicians
Library books or textbooks still checked out
The library will be closed for the summer. If you find any library books or textbooks, please put them in a safe place until school starts again in the fall when they can be safely returned.
Fines or fees are never assessed unless a book is returned damaged or permanently lost.
Students have access to the Library Media Center when they come with their teacher during a weekly scheduled 30 minute visit. Each visit is approximately 15 minutes for a story or library instruction and 15 minutes to search for a book and check out.
Book check-out information
LIBRARY BOOK CHECK-OUT LIMIT BY GRADE
- Grades TK, K, & 1 can check-out 1 book per week.
- Grade 2nd and up can check-out 1 book per week the first semester, up to 2 books per week the second semester.
- Grades 3rd and up can check out up to 2 books per week and online books on Overdrive.
- Students may borrow a third book if they are working on a project for class with permission from their teachers.
Library books check-out for one week, with the option to renew for an additional week. Books are due the day before students come to the library. All books checked out the week prior need to be returned before any new books can be checked out. Students with late books will not be allowed to continue checking out until their books are renewed or returned. Students are able to renew books for one (1) more week with the exception of novel study and books used for class projects. In order to renew a book, it must be presented during the class library visit.
WHAT IF I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT I BORROWED
Students can access their accounts and view their information anywhere through Destiny. You can view library books borrowed and their due dates online.
Fines (Damaged and Lost Books)
Fines are collected for lost or damaged books. Replacement books are not accepted in lieu of paying fines. Access to grades, yearbooks and borrowing privileges may be withheld until late books/fines are collected. (Education Code sections 19910-19911 and 48904).
Emails are sent weekly to parents regarding overdue, lost, or damaged books.
There are no fines for overdue books returned in good condition.
- Destiny (Select Portola Springs Elementary) View the library catalog and other shortcuts.
- Overdrive (Username: #lastnamefirstname Password: your 9 digit number) E-books and e-audiobooks available to download to ipad, computer and more.
- MackinVia (Click on the green person next to your name at the top, select "change site", and select Portola Springs Elementary)
- Encyclopedia Britannica (Username: portolas Password: irvine) Online access to accurate, age appropriate articles, images, and videos on millions of topics.
- Clever Cloud based service that compiles digital tools for the classroom.
- Canvas Cloud based service that compiles digital tools for the classroom.
Mrs. Trinh and I have been creating videos for you. We will be adding to this list as we create and edit more so check back regularly. You will need a IUSD email address to view the videos.
- "Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too" from Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein read by Mrs. Trinh
- "Jelly-Fish" by Marianne Moore read by Ms. Ku
Star Wars Day (May the Fourth Be With You)
California Young Reader Medal Primary Winner for Portola Springs Elementary
- The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors by Drew Daywalt read by Ms. Ku
- Can I Be Your Dog? by Troy Cummings read by Ms. Ku
- Penguin Problems by Jory John read by Wesley Boyda (Ms. Ku's son!)
- The Cool Bean by Jory John read by Mrs. Trinh
Public Domain Books
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter read by Wesley Boyda
How to Videos/Slideshows
- Portola Springs (non-district) Adopted Software List You'll find fun software applications like DoInk (animations and green screen video creating), Powtoon (animated video and presentations), Prodigy (math skills builder game), Sushi Monster (math problems app game), and TinkerCAD (3D design and modeling tool).
- Orange County Public Library Access countless books through their nearest library branch or electronically. All library cards are free. We highly recommend their e-resources including Overdrive (e-books and e-audiobooks), Hoopla (movies, music, audiobooks, ebooks, comics and TV shows), and Bookflix (video storybooks paired with related nonfiction ebooks from preschool through 3rd grade).
- Shelver Practice putting your books in call number order, alphabetical or dewey decimal.
External Videos and Websites (We have done our best to select quality videos, but adults, please preview before sharing.)
- Aquarium of the Pacific Live Online Academy (Pre-K to 6th grade) - Sea life lectures for children.
- Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Home Safari - Animal and plant life lectures for all ages.
- Little Angels Puppet Theater - Puppet shows, stories, and crafts for children.
- Disney Storytime - Celebrities read stories .
- Draw With Disney Animation - Learn how to draw Disney characters with actual Disney animators.
- Dr. Seuss Raps Over Dr. Dre Beats - Listen to Dr. Seuss books read to rap beats. Fox in Socks and The Lorax are especially good.
- Harlem Globetrotters at Home - Fun videos and activity sheets with the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Scholastic at Home - Activities and projects for children.
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems - Doodle with Mo Willems, author and illustrator of Elephant and Piggie Books and the Pigeon Books.
- Daniel Radcliffe Reads Harry Potter - (Requires registration to listen to the video)
- Taika Waititi and Friends Read James and the Giant Peach - Taiki Waititi (director, actor, writer) and celebrity friends read Roald Dahl's James and the Giant Peach
California Young Reader Medal
Every year Portola Springs participates in the California Young Reader Medal. We read and share the nominees with our students and they vote on their favorite book.
Here are the results of our 2019-2020 election:
|Title and Author||Number of Votes|
|Let Me Finish! by Minh Le||21|
|Highest Mountain of Books In the World by Rocio Bonilla||26|
|The Bad Seed by Jory John||52|
|Can I Be Your Dog? by Troy Cummings||118|
|The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors by Drew Daywalt||247|
|Title and Author||Number of Votes|
|Lillian's Right to Vote by Jonah Winter||43|
|Her Right Foot by Dave Eggers||83|
|Malala's Magic Pencil by Malala Yousafzai||129|
|Title and Author||Number of Votes|
|The Detective's Assistant by Kate Hannigan||7|
|The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley||13|
|The Loser's Club by Andrew Clements||29|
How Can I help?