Portola Springs Library Media Center
TK– 6th Grade
Our mission is to teach our students the information literacy skills necessary to access and evaluate information, to use it accurately, creatively, and ethically to provide a wide variety of materials to support the curriculum, and to encourage a life-long love of reading.
- Circulating collection of over 11,000 books and eBooks
- Online library catalog can be found @ http://destiny.iusd.org (select: Portola Springs Elementary)
- Online Database: Encyclopedia Britannica: http://school.eb.com
- Username: portolas
- Password: irvine
- eBooks accessible through Destiny and Overdrive @ http://iusd.org/overdrive
- Information Literacy instruction includes utilizing resources beyond the Library Media Center walls including the collections and databases of the Orange County Public Library (OCPL). For more information and how to sign up for a free library card please access their website @ www. ocpl.org
- Students have access to the Library Media Center when they come with their teacher during a scheduled time.
- Book check-out per Grade Level
- Grades TK, K, & 1 can check-out 1 book per week.
- Grades 2, 3, & 4 can check-out up to 2 books per week.
- Grades 5, & 6 can check-out up to 3 books per week.
- Books are due the day students come to the library. All books checked out the week prior need to be returned before any new books can be checked out. Students with late books will not be allowed to continue checking out until their books are renewed or returned. Students are able to renew books for one more week with the exception of novel study and books used for class projects. In order to renew a book, it must be presented during the class library visit.
- Fines are collected for lost or damaged books. Books are not accepted in lieu of paying fines. Access to grades, yearbooks and borrowing privileges may be withheld until late books/fines are collected. (Education Code sections 19910-19911 and 48904).
- Volunteers are crucial to maintaining open circulation as we circulate over 3,000 books each month. Volunteers are needed to shelve the returned books. Please consider being a Media Center Volunteer!
Jennifer Trinh JenniferTrinh@iusd.org
Shirley Ku ShirleyKu@iusd.org
Vina Houston VinaHenry@iusd.org